Sunday, March 21, 2010

I've been too busy to blog

Wednesday Kevin and I, Connor and his friend Marcus and my parents went to the Sportsman Show for the day.  We had a great time and I think I spent more than Kevin!  That didn't even come close to the $1000 Connor spent on his new kayak though.

 I got dropped off at my parents and stayed there until Saturday morning.  I got to see all my siblings (which is pretty rare) as even my sister and her kids were up from New York.  It was a very relaxing time.  My youngest sister does not like to cook and has discovered Supperworks.   I had the chance to go with her this trip.  I enjoy cooking but I think this is a great idea for a busy person or someone who doesn't enjoy cooking.  Basically the company does all the buying, prep work and clean up.  There are stations where the recipes are posted and all the ingredients are organized and you measure and bag your whole meal and attach a label with the name and cooking instructions.  I think it costs about $15 to feed a family of 4 - 6.  Cheaper than a restaurant and there is a great selection.

Kevin was coming down to get me Saturday morning and replace all of his mother's smoke detectors.  He wanted to pick me up at 8:30 and I kept saying no.  I would be up but there were 9 other people in the house who might not be.  So he did the smoke detectors first.  About 10 the doorbell rang and everyone said it would be Kevin.  I had just talked to him and knew he was still at his mom's so I knew it wasn't him.  My mom answered the door and said "It's Alec" (my sister thought she said it was Elvis).  I wasn't really surprised though I wasn't expecting him.  Caitlin was right behind him.  I knew Caitlin was coming in the next month but nobody would tell me when as they wanted to surprise me.  Her flight landed around 6:30 am and Kevin planned on picking her up and coming straight to get me.  However,  Alec decided he was coming home and said he would pick her up so Kevin went straight to his mom's.  Alec left Kingston at 4 am so he could meet Caitlin - isn't that sweet?  I am going to miss him when he leaves for Edmonton after graduation.

So I will be much too busy enjoying her visit to blog much for the next week -she is out jogging now so I have a few minutes alone.  We already biked for hours today!

4 comments:

Cherylinn said...

What a terrific surprise.....I'd love to see pics of Connors kayak. I never go to the Sportsman show, but if there's lots to spend on maybe I should consider it....

Anonymous said...

When we moved back to Ontario after 20 years of living away I made a point of going to the Sportmen's Show the first two years. I was very disappointed, it was all hunting lodges, fishing lodges and ATV and outboard motor displays. We then tried the Royal Winter Fair (I think think we bumped into CG and FG there one year). Both the old Sportsmen's Show and the Royal were a pain to get to and from with their location. The last year we went to the Royal it took us over two hours to get off the grounds and onto a highway. We have not gone back since.

Since I started guiding and instructing I have been attending the Outdoor Adventure Show. It was geared much more toward the activities I was doing. The last two years though there have been less outdoor adventure exhibitors and more invenstment firms, furniture companies, encyclopedias etc. I commented to a few industry contacts that I would give it one more chance and then dump it also.

Well, as this year would have it, I was in BC when the Outdoor Adventure Show was on - friends told me it was awesome this year - apparently a lot of attendees and exhibitors from last year complained to the people who run it that it was losing focus so they fixed the problems. Also the Sportsmen's Show was forced out of its old location by the new Mayor Miller anti-gun laws. You can't even think about guns on city owned property. So this years show was at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Much easier transit access for me. Although there were some growing pains - overall I enjoyed the show; I spent very little money compared to Laura - that has to be a first. I will go back next year.

Connor bought a Riot Astro 58 - an extreme whitewater playboat. We pick it up at Muskoka Paddlshack (I have been dealing with these guys for a few years and can highly recommend them) April 1st, and will hopefully get to use it when the ice goes off the Black River near Washago this spring.

Kevin

Fiddling Granny said...

That's cool that you got to see all your sibs!! I always enjoy those quiet little gatherings with our family.

SusanE said...

Sorry I'm so long in reading this. My feed wasn't working and I didn't notice until today.

You must have been thrilled to see the kids...

Your parents must have been really happy to have everyone around.