Friday, February 19, 2010

Ski day

We only live 3 blocks from a nordic ski centre.  The first winter we were here we walked over a few times.  It was only $2.  The next year the prices more than tripled as they decided to include parking fees which had been seperate before.  Every year I ski with the kids classes because it is free as a volunteer.  The last few years we have added the free moonlight ski as well.  The last few years I have said I will get a pass but then I wonder if I will get my money's worth.  A few years we haven't had enough snow.  Will I have the energy to ski and walk the dogs?  Can I keep it up for a whole winter alone?  I do know someone who skis almost every day and I could go with her but she skis the same 4 km loop every time.  Boring.  There is more than 30 km of trails to explore.  I can see doing the same loop if you are timing yourself or in a hurry but every time!  I need more variety.

My summer fitness routine is my job, supplemented by dog walking and a little biking and canoeing.  On rainy days and in the winter I rebound 4 or 5 times a week and walk the dogs.  I am getting bored of the rebounding routines (and I lent a DVD to a friend so I only have half to chose from) so today I did it.  I forked over $9 and went skiing.  I did 7 km in an hour and ten minutes and I am home for a lunch break.  I am going to go out again after lunch and do another 4 km or more.  I don't want to overdo it or I won't be able to walk up the stairs tomorrow.  I will try to find a pocket to stuff my camera in.  There was a pileated woodpecker right on the trail this morning.

4 comments:

SusanE said...

glad you had a great ski. Love the fresh air of February.

Fiddling Granny said...

How were the legs? I always find the first time out is exhilarating ... and I overdo it, thinking, my legs are fine, and I push. The next day .. I can barely move.

Cherylinn said...

$9.00 is still a very reasonable price.

Lauras Garden said...

I did go do another 5 or 6 km and amazingly had no pain the next day except for a blister. I agree $9 is reasonable. It is cheaper than a movie and lasts longer.