Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Learn from me

As you likely remember, I have been having problems with smoke detectors for at least 3 weeks.  One of the CO detectors started acting up on the weekend too.  I have done lots of shopping, research and installed 3 new units and thought I would pass on my vast knowledge to you all.  Detectors have changed a lot in the last few years.  

Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years.   We have lived here 9 years and  the units that need replacing mostly came with the house so it makes sense that all our detectors (except 2) are due to be replaced.  One of the ones I removed had the manufacture date printed on the base - on the side that was screwed against the ceiling.  Made it a little difficult to read.  Then you have to add 10.  The new ones have the expiry dates printed on the side - very visible and no math involved. 

CO detectors should be replaced every 5 years.  It took a lot of research to find that out.  Thank you CMHC.

The new units are different sizes so your new one will not fit the old base. The holes from the old detectors may not match either so be prepared to drill, install anchors and patch the old holes.

Our old detectors were from 3 manufacturers.  Now, Kidde pretty much has the market covered (at least in Canada).

Always remember to change your batteries when you change your clock in the spring and fall.  This will cost a lot in batteries but the uninterrupted sleep is worth it.  And vacuum it regularly (at least once a month).

All of our old detectors twisted off a base and you had to remove them to silence an alarm or remove the battery.  Some of the new units have easy access hatches and one even had a 10 year battery but that made me a little leery.  They all have hush buttons now.  You also have to decide between ionization and photoelectric detection systems because they detect different kinds of fires.  It is recommended you have both kinds but nowhere could I find if that meant you should have 2 right beside each other or just have at least one of each kind on each floor.

This is what I ended up with.  Connor's room got a new photoelectric unit - not shown.  The one below is in the hall outside his room.  It uses ionization.  When the alarm sounds, the light flashes.  His room is in the basement and I thought the light would help him find his way in the dark.  It takes two 9 volt batteries.

This one is in the upstairs hallway, which also needed a new CO detector.  This unit was expensive ($60) but it detects both smoke and CO so I only bought one new unit instead of two and I can get rid of the wall mounted one that is in the way when I plug in the vacuum and occasionally gets knocked off.  The downside is that the whole unit has to be replaced every 5 years.  And - are you ready for this? - it talks!  So in the middle of the night I will wake to "fire!fire!fire!" or "Carbon Monoxide " or "Low Battery".  Makes it so easy!  Yes, I know I need to get out more if a new smoke detector is not only the highlight of my week, but my new best friend.  It uses 3 AA batteries and is also ionization.

When Kevin returns he gets to install the remaining units.  2 of them are hardwired and it doesn't appear that the old system mates with the new one so I am not tackling them.  The other 2 are on suspended ceilings and they no longer come with brackets to attach them.  It looks like the new ones will have to go on the walls. 

I hope you found this useful.

1 comment:

Fiddling Granny said...

We had bi-lingual ones at the other house. "FIRE, UN FEU!" it would shout.

You will find that it's a sort of Murphy's Law type thing that the batteries always need replaced in the middle of the night.