Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My favourite quick meal

Usually I enjoy cooking.  I am enjoying it less as the kids leave home.  It just isn't as much fun cooking for 2 or 3 (and I often don't know when Kevin will be home and Connor races out to work several nights a week so sometimes it's just me).  And then there are nights that I am not physically home to cook.  Like tonight when I was taking Connor snowboarding.  On nights like these I like to pick up a cooked chicken at one of the 3 grocery stores in town.  Add a bagged salad or a deli salad and some fresh buns or bread and you've got a quick, relatively healthy meal.  And the chicken is on sale right now for $6.99 so it is a very economical meal too. We usually have enough leftovers for a sandwich or two the next day and that is so much better for you and better tasting than processed meats.

On Sundays after church we often have Kraft Dinner or grilled cheese.

What about you?  When you are in a hurry or too busy to cook do you open a can of soup? Make Tuna sandwiches? Or call for pizza or Chinese food?

7 comments:

Cherylinn said...

A veggie omelet is always a favourite for us.

SusanE said...

I fry an egg like a crepe and roll steamed asparagus in it with a little fresh parmasean cheese. Sprinkle some more on top.

Occasionally I add avocado on the top. I like to keep it really simple though.

Cheryl's Habenero Jelly is really good inside it too.

Lauras Garden said...

That sounds good. It's funny you both eat eggs when you're in a hurry. Is that what your mom did? I rarely cook eggs at night. Somehow they are more breakfast to me.

Cherylinn said...

I guess just because they are quick and convenient and always in the fridge...

Fiddling Granny said...

Must be a family thing ... I say omelet, or beans on toast.

I have a favourite quick recipe that I make that's simple and yummy. I'll post it.

Cherylinn said...

I haven't had beans on toast forever.....

Cherylinn said...

Forgot to say Thanks for the movie Laura....I'll let you know how we like it.

In your note you commented about us finding a new home for the horses....That would never happen, when we do move ALL the critters come with us.