Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I'm so proud!

My baby got employee of the month at the restaurant where he works.  Not bad for a 14 year old!  He is getting more hours than many of the "full-time" adults and they often call him in when they are busy.  He has never been a scholar.   Homework has always been a battle so I have let up on what I see as a losing battle.  He might as well earn some money.  If he can keep this up until he graduates he will have a minimum of $8000 towards college or a car.  We are getting his first GIC this week.  There's not much else you can do with a minor's money.  (Or is there?)

5 hours later - Connor just got home from work with his stash.  He got a hoodie, mitts, a t-shirt and 2 tickets to a local hockey game, 2 bags of microwave popcorn and 2 free movie coupons and ... best of all - the employee of the month parking space.  Too bad he can't drive for 2 more years.

Disclaimer - this is not meant to belittle the achievements of my older children in any way.  I will be blogging less about them as Connor is the only one left at home.  Caitlin has her own blog anyway.  Alec would rather I don't talk about him (but occasionally I just can't help myself) and Tori doesn't keep us informed of what is going on in her life.

 -


4 comments:

Cherylinn said...

Good for him.....Not all kids excel in school and I was one of those kids..Books smarts isn't all there is...

SusanE said...

Good for him. ANd his first GIC. That's a good start

SusanE said...

Oops forgot to subscribe.

Fiddling Granny said...

Book larnin' isn't everything. Sounds like he's doing just great despite the schoolwork.