Monday, January 18, 2010

He's Gone

I just got back from dropping Kevin at the base.  At 3 am he will take a bus to Trenton then fly to Abbotsford and spend the next 6 weeks in Vancouver assisting the RCMP with security for the Olympics. My family knows that I hate driving at night (because of poor night vision) and driving in winter (3 slides off various roads years ago) so the fact that I was driving at midnight is an achievement in itself.  I am very grateful that God provided dry roads, clear skies and peace for my trip.

Kevin has been away a lot over the years. Once we figured out that we actually only lived together for 13 of the first 36 months of marriage. When we lived in Alberta the 2nd time he was gone as often as he was home. I got used to the absences easily and never stayed at home moping or whining. I handled every challenge that arose.  However it has been years since he has been so far away, gone more than a week and never so long in the winter so I am a little apprehensive. It doesn't matter as much if your furnace or car breaks down in the summer. I am very glad he will get to see Caitlin while he is there.

Anyway some things will be different here for the next while and I thought I would highlight a few:

- I get to control the remotes! (if I can figure out the new ones)

- I have to drive Connor everywhere

- I have to make my own tea at night - and lock the doors

- I get a normal bed (this one needs a little explaining - we need a new mattress and in an effort to stall that big purchase we bought a memory foam pad - I like it but Kevin didn't so it is folded over onto my side - that means there is a big drop in the middle of the bed - it is easy to fall down onto his half and it looks retarded - now I can unfold it and spread out)

- I get to worry about floods and sump pump failure, snow shovelling and all those other fun things

- I get a clean house (and bathroom)

and that's all I can think of at this hour.  I am not a night person.


3 comments:

Cherylinn said...

That will be awesome for him, but no so for you. I couldn't imagine John not being here, I think we have been separated for maximum 3 weeks in total over 32 years we've been married.

Take advantage of the entire bed, that's cool!

SusanE said...

It's interesting the little measurements of worth. I think those are the things that make marriage sweet. In particular that Kevin makes you tea every night.

I'm sorry that you won't be watching TV in spite of having control of the remote. They are darn near impossible to figure out and I don't hold out much hope for you.

Do you have a webcam on your computer? Maybe we should do G-webcam

Fiddling Granny said...

Ken used to travel a lot ... I can't imagine him being away now. Who would remind me to do stuff like breathe??