Monday, January 11, 2010

Last Night

Connor wanted to go snowboarding.  That usually involves 2 round trips of close to an hour each.  Last night we decided to stay in Collingwood and go out for dinner and see a movie after dropping him off.  Dinner was very good.  Collingwood has lots of chain restaurants but also lots of mom and pop, family or gourmet chef places.  We tried a new place.  I had pan fried pickerel with nicely seasoned fresh vegetables.  Kevin had fettucine with 2 (!) chicken breasts.  Very nice.  Then we went to see Sherlock Holmes. It was pretty good.  The best part was that it was free thanks to a coupon from Christmas 2008.  I only make it to a show about once a year (Kevin goes to the drive in a lot in the summer) so it was a nice evening.

I woke up about 3 am when nature called and I could not get back to sleep.  There was a strange intermittent rumbling noise.  I couldn't decide if it was Kevin's stomach (ruled that one out pretty fast), the furnace (the vent is right under our bed), something in Connor's room right below ours.  I wasn't even sure it was inside. Maybe a garbage can was blowing around the street though it wasn't windy and garbage day was 5 days ago so that seemed unlikely.  I finally got up about 3:45 and went to Alec's empty room for a fresh perspective. As I looked out his window I saw a snow filled dump truck and it all made sense.  They were clearing the hill of snow from the middle of the court a block away.  At 3 am!  It would seem to me that would be a job for daylight.  If it kept me up a block away, I can only imagine what the residents of the court experienced.  Other years the snow has been much higher and they have left it so I am rather puzzled by their logic.  At the same time I am trying to be grateful to those operators who have to work crappy hours in extreme weather to keep us safe.  So I won't complain ... this time.


6 comments:

Cherylinn said...

That's crazy in the wee small hours of the morning to be removing snow.....I think I'd be some annoyed.

SusanE said...

hmmm. I think I feel a story coming on.

I can't imagine what Kevin's stomach must sound like, if you though, however briefly, that a snow plough or grader could have been Kevin.

Lauras Garden said...

The plow was a block away! I'm not mad at them any more. I just got home and realized they had graded while I was gone. I was expecting a huge pile of yuck in the driveway but they cleaned it out!

Fiddling Granny said...

One night when we lived in Nmkt beside the tracks, they were cleaning the tracks at 3:00 in the morning. It's a really slow moving rail car with flames shooting out the bottom that moves in inches per hour.

It was neat to watch, but ..... it took an hour for them to go from when we first heard them till they were out of sight.

Country Girl said...

That was a great movie

Lauras Garden said...

The only other movie showing I was interested in was Leap Year. We went to Sherlock Holmes because you said it was good.