Thursday, January 15, 2009

My new pets

They can't pull a dogsled, climb ladders to haylofts or write their own blogs but I like my new pets. They are relaxing, yet somehow still entertaining and amusing.

This is a ghost shrimp.  They are only about 1/2 inch long and hard to spot.  We have put 9 shrimp into the aquarium and can only find 3 now.  We think the bala shark ate them.  He died yesterday so hopefully we won't lose any more.  

The next pictures are my dwarf frogs.  We had frogs years ago but they were kept in little bowls(like bettas) and alone.  They are my favourites - the whole reason for the aquarium.  They are less than an inch long as well.  They are the aquarium clowns.  They always pick the hardest way to do everything.  They squeeze through little crevices when they could move over 1\2 inch  and have lots of room.  When they swim to the surface to get air they almost always swim up against the filter outflow and have a really hard time.  When they get to the top they float down - they look like they are parachuting.



This last fellow is a Rainbow Shark.  He spends most of his time hiding in a plant.  He is only about an inch long right now but will grow to about 6 inches.  There is a pleco too but he spends all of his time under a piece of wood.  I am still doing lots of research as this is my first real aquarium and I want to get some small fish for the upper water levels.  Everything we have spends most of their time at the bottom.  

5 comments:

SusanE said...

I like the frog, he looks cute.

I hope the rest of your shrimp are safe now.

SusanE said...

When did you get these guys?

Lauras Garden said...

We got them just after Christmas. It is really hard to take pictures through aquarium walls - the reflection and the flash are difficult to avoid and it makes the algae look way worse.

Fiddling Granny said...

They may not "dogsled, climb ladders to haylofts or write their own blogs", but they don't care if you go away for weekends, or vacations even. ☺

I agree, aquariums are really relaxing. We used to have one and I'd watch it for ages, but I did get stressed when one fish would bully another. Apparently knocking on the glass doesn't really alter their behaviour.

Cherylinn said...

You can get lost watching an aquarium....When TJ has his salt water on in his room it was so calming and just sitting and watching. I admire people that have then, it's something I couldn't do.