Monday, January 5, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust

As most of you will recall this year has been an ongoing nightmare of expenditures on the house starting with the flood April 1.  Almost the entire basement has been rebuilt.  We replaced the downstairs shower and the sump pump and added an auxiliary pump (none of that covered by the insurance claim).  We are in the middle of re-tiling the upstairs shower because the tiles started to fall off when I cleaned it.  So today the washer died.  I don't understand why everything connected to water is breaking.  The washer is more than 13 and came with the house so I have no intention of fixing it.  For now I am just going to go to the laundromat while I do research and search for an unbelievable bargain.  I actually don't mind laundromats.  |You can get so many loads done at one time and read while you are waiting.  It is kind of like being on holiday since most of the time I have needed a laundromat in the past we were on holiday.  However, the kids are not impressed that they have to have their laundry ready when I say or that their clothes are going to touch their siblings or parents.  It just occurred to me that we have never had a new washer or dryer.  Our first set belonged to my aunt and uncle.  They were leaving Edmonton when we moved there 25 years ago.  We started storing their effects then selling them off for them.  We bought the Maytag pair from them.  They lasted us for our entire marriage with only one repair each.  They are currently residing at the house next door as the house we are living in now came with an Inglis washer and dryer (gas).  We would probably still be using them if the Maytag dryer was gas.  I know a lot has changed with regards to washers.  They have energy ratings now and front load and low-sudsing soap requirements and fancy colours and storage pedestals and folding tables.  I am not sure if I am excited or intimidated about this upcoming investment.  I am definitely tired of spending money on this house and it's contents.

5 comments:

Fiddling Granny said...

Go Maytag ... I have a Kenmore set now and they don't come close. Keep it simple. Who uses all the ridiculaous settings.

I use the water temperature setting, the gentle or regular, and heavy or light load, so why pay for a crap-load of extras that don't get used.

My two cents.

SusanE said...

I think it's like a car. At about 90,000km it starts to break down and everything needs replacing, but after 120,000 everything has been replaced and you're good for years.

Your home/appliances etc have 90,000k on them, that's all.

I like the laundromat too. I always say it feels like a vacation because the laundry is done in 1 hour pretty much and then you don't have to worry about it for a whole week.

Sucks to be the kids. They can always go to the laundromat with their cloths and pay to do it.

Lauras Garden said...

We replaced the agitator 4 or 5 months ago but the machine still walked across the floor on the spin cycle and terrified the dogs. Today it started making strange noises and won't agitate or drain now. It is toast. Maytag is now made by Whirlpool and not nearly as good as it used to be. I won't by LG for sure. 2 of the 2 people I know who have bought LG have had trouble from day one. All advice is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Kenmore does not actually make anything for themselves. They are Sears house brand and they just go to one or two of the major manufacturers and ask them to rebadge some of their stuff as Kenmore, sometimes dropping features along the way.

A few years back there were only five makers of large appliances in North America. Camco was made in Canada (and possibly the USA) and sold under many names - apparently they had close to 35% of the market without their own name apppearing on an appliance.

Whirlpool, Maytag and Inlgis are now all the same company.

It is a foggy appliance world out there.

I do know though that we will not be getting an LG appliance.

Cherylinn said...

The joys of modern technology. Laura, you could always do laundry the way Megan is.....scrub board!

I have one in the basement that's over 100 years old, the poor thing is falling apart now but just think how long it lasted.