Sunday, January 11, 2009

If Gryper wasn't already taken ...

On Friday we left the house at 7 am to take Alec to Kingston for 7 more months of training.  We were back home at 8:30 because the SUV wouldn't heat up and the defrost wasn't working properly.  Then Kevin noticed that the temperature gauge was very low even at 5000 rpm.  It coded a few weeks ago and we didn't want to take the chance of a breakdown on a 5 hour trip so we came home and took my truck - much more comfortable, with cruise control but also way more expensive! Friday night the girls called.  The microwave door wouldn't open.  Not much we could do from Kingston so they had to find other food.   We had a great weekend with our friends Laurie & Glenn before leaving for home Sunday morning.  We stopped to visit my cousin Michael whose 52 year old wife died suddenly December 31.  That helped to put everything in perspective.  After we left his house a strange flapping noise started coming from the front of the truck.  It turned out to be our "Support our Troops" magnet which is around the antenna.  It just suddenly came loose.  At least it was a cheap fix.  Then Caitlin texted me that one of the dwarf frogs died (I got a new aquarium 2 weeks ago and I hope to post pictures soon).  So here we are at home - safe and sound - with a decision to make - what do we fix/replace first?  The SUV (that has already cost us $3,000 in three months)? The washer? The microwave? Kevin's computer which has started making really funny noises? The half-replaced shower? (I guess that is first because the tiler is booked for tomorrow).  I really don't like complaining and I feel that is all I am doing lately.  So let's call it something else.  Not whining.  Maybe venting?  I know - how about gryping?

6 comments:

SusanE said...

When everything I own starts breaking, corny as it may seem, I always say "Well at least we have our health."

I know so many people who have horrible things happen over and over again, where I just have things break all the time.

Better a broken generator (or washer, microwave, SUV etc.) then a broken head.

It'll stop soon and you'll have a few months of peace before the next onslaught.

Fiddling Granny said...

Long, long ago, when the earth was still forming, Gryper,the old philosopher, taught me this sentiment, "I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet".

My version of, at least we have out health. :-)

Cherylinn said...

It's funny how things happen. I'd start with the most needed and work my way from there.

If I may vent on your blog....I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come, but this morning I was going to dump the wheelbarrow and noticed it wasn't stearing correctly. I paid big bucks for this beauty, two heavy duty front wheels, I felt it would outlast me. When I got back to the barn I flipped it over and saw a wheel bracket snapped in half. I phoned John at work and did say, I know you can't do anything about it from where you are but.....
I sure hope he can fix it tonight. I'd be at a total loss tomorrow morning without it.

Lauras Garden said...

They just don't make anything like they used to. Wheelbarrows, cars, washing machines - nothing lasts.

Fiddling Granny said...

As the old guy says, "Whatsa matter they way it used to be??"

Cherylinn said...

Why do they keep trying to reinvent the wheel....leave things alone.