Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Aprons

This is the apron that started it all - my Christmas apron. I bought it for a few dollars at a craft show many years ago. I like it because it covers more than the traditional around the waist apron and is very easy to put on.

One day I thought that the pattern looked simple enough to duplicate at home so I simply traced the apron onto some cheap broadcloth, added a few extra inches at the neck and hem and sides for the seam allowance, bought some bias tape and voila! - aprons for the girls. The horse one is Caitlin's naturally and the other old fashioned looking one is Tori's.




Last February we did a fundraising dinner to help finance Victoria's mission trip to Kenya. I wanted the "staff" (her friends) to look professional so I made them all aprons. The 2 guys got plain burgundy (sorry it is hard to make a masculine looking apron that doesn't say "Torch the Steak and Run"). I used the same material for all the girls aprons but varied the colour of the bias tape so the sets of sisters could tell theirs apart. They all got to keep their aprons as a thank you for helping. I kept the last one for me - pictured below since my previous everyday apron had worn out.

I don't really think you would need a pattern - try it on some newpaper or packing paper. Make sure the sides are symmetrical - some of mine aren't quite perfect. Vary the material and sizes depending on the person - they are cute for little girls too! I wonder how it would work done in light terrycloth? Right now I am working on a cross-stitch so I don't feel like experimenting with aprons. FG & CG let me know how yours work out. (If you want I could drop one of my samples of with the Gryper) Susan - maybe someday - don't hold your breath.



2 comments:

SusanE said...

I love the "Torch the Steak and Run" comment.

I don't own a sewing machine and somehow I can see myself hand stitching an apron (or anything else for that matter).

Oh well, I always forget to wear my aprons anyway.

Cherylinn said...

Great selection of aprons....I shall dust off my sewing machine, wind a bobin and get one made. As soon as it's done, I shall take it's picture and post her for all to see.