Monday, October 24, 2011

Butte, Montana to Dickinson, ND

Caitlin and I don't check each others blogs until after we have both posted. I am hoping you get a different perspective from both of us and between the 2 of us we cover everything.

We were on the freeway at 7 this morning and crossed the continental divide 10 minutes later. We enjoyed this sunrise an hour later outside Bozeman. The sky radiated colour but the camera didn't catch it.


The scenery wasn't quite as breathtaking as the last 2 days but I really wanted to get out and run around and explore those hills. There are deer on the top of one of those 2 buttes below - I just can't remember which one!


To keep busy on our drive we both read (but not at the same time!), take pictures and I knit as well. We also listen to lots and lots of CD's. There's not a lot of radio available so it is good that Caitlin has all her CDs accessible. Today we listened to Country and Veggie Tales, Christian worship, Shrek soundtrack, AC DC and oldies like Janis Joplin and Roger Miller, Great Big Sea and Country (yes I know Country is there twice). We are also listening to the Bloody Jack series by L.A. Meyer. My sister Lynda introduced us to it this summer. It is hilarious and sure helps keep us alert.

We travelled 885 km today - our longest break was waiting for an oil change in Billings. We have at least 2 more days to go. We are currently experiencing some confusion as to which time zone we are in. Some of our electronics (and the room clock) are in one time zone, the rest in another. The clocks in the lobby show both times. It's not really important but we don't want to show up for breakfast an hour before the restaurant opens!

Travel joke of the day:
Shawn had just received his driver's license. The family all climbed into the car so he could take them for a ride. His dad immediately jumped into the backseat, directly behind the newly minted driver.
"I'll bet you're back there for a change of scenery after all this time of having to sit up here with me, teaching me how to drive," said the teenager.
"No," replied his father. "I'm going to sit here and kick the back of your seat as you drive, just like you've been doing to me all these years."

3 comments:

SusanE said...

weather is good for driving. Sounds like you're having fun.

Cherylinn said...

I could drive all day long and listen to "old" counrty. Forget all the other music.

Gryper said...

Enjoying the pics. It's all familiar territory to us!