Friday, September 10, 2010

What we found at the Beach

Tori is demonstrating to Connor and I how to find microscopic sealife in the tidal pools.

She has always had amazing eyesight. When I went on hikes with her classes the teacher would ask "Who can find a _______________? Tori was always the first. Eventually she would be asked to give the other kids a chance. The first picture is a hermit crab. The second a regular crab that was half the size of her pinky nail.


After all that fresh air we needed lunch. Look where we ate! It was excellent - both the food and the service.
After lunch we went to a beach north of Amherst and had a nice swim. It took us longer to find the beach than we actually swam but we had the whole beach to ourselves. I guess everyone else had problems with the directions and lack of signs too. A few seals joined us but kept their distance. Connor has a waterproof camera but didn't bring it so blame him for the lack of pictures.

4 comments:

SusanE said...

I thought at first that the hermit crab was at Wasaga Beach and I thought that odd. THen I remembered you were on the east coast.

Laura said...

If we had hermit crabs here I would be at the lake a lot more. Swimming doesn't excite me but looking for little living things does.

Cherylinn said...

My first thought was "what's a hermit crab doing living outdoor near you"...Then I saw what Susan posted and it came to me.

I'd take swimming any day over little living things especially in the water...

Laura said...

Now Connor would like a hermit crab. How is Mikki's?