Saturday, August 8, 2009

Vet Visit

I have been putting off the pets annual vet visit for several reasons.  Firstly, I don't really think they need them every 12 months so they tend to be a few months late.  Secondly, the logistics of getting 2 dogs and a cat to the vet (so I can get the discount) are overwhelming and there isn't often someone willing and able to help out.  Shasta gets really, really excited every time she gets in the car.  She has a high pitched bark that gives Kevin a migraine instantaneously and she doesn't stop barking the whole way there (she is usually quiet on the way back).  I translate her excitement like this "Oh goody, goody, goody we are going to the forest.  I am so happy.  Really, really happy.  Oh boy, I get to run like crazy. I am so excited.  Wait.  She drove by the forest parking lot.  Ok, maybe it's the beach.  The beach is even better than the forest.  I LOVE swimming.  And chasing seagulls.  And the other dogs.  Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, we are going to the beach.  Did I tell you the beach is even better than the forest?  I am so, so happy.  Wait.  She drove by the beach road.  Now where are we going Mom?  Agility.  It must be agility.  It's been a long time since I ran through the tunnels and up the ramp.  Oh well, it's better than a walk around the block.  Yippee.  We're going to agility!  Hmm.  I don't remember this parking lot.  I wonder what we are doing here.  Oh no.  Now I remember.  Tiled floor.  Stinky place.  At least they give me treats.  Fine, we'll go to in the stinky place." Ten minutes in the car with Shasta barking seems much, much longer.  And Darcy throws up in the car.  This year the rabbit also needed his nails trimmed so there was no way I was going alone.  A friend has used the mobile vet for a few years and really likes her so I gave her a try.  It took a while on the phone to fill in paperwork, then more paperwork when they arrived.  They give you a window (mine was 2 - 4 pm) not a definite time so I had to leave work early.   Easter (cat) got to go first because I was worried about her slipping out with all the comings and goings.  If we don't lock her in a bathroom the night before a vet visit she often gets out and misses it - then I have to go again.  I told them she was nasty so they had my permission to jab her and run while she was sleeping peacefully in the window.  It worked beautifully.  First needle she looked at the vet, second needle she growled, when the vet tried using the stethoscope Easter attacked so check up finished.  Darcy and Shasta got to go out to the mobile clinic (a Shasta RV funnily enough) for their exams.  They were very good and got "report cards".  Tippy the rabbit has nice short nails now. It took way longer than a regular vet visit because it was the first time but the price was comparable and the convenience of not having to drag the four of them out - I am definitely doing this again!

4 comments:

SusanE said...

Oh I laughed at the dog talk. You have him figured out that's for sure.

I hate going to the vet. I've opted for once every three years or as needed, but I don't have a municipality that makes me license.

We don't have a mobile vet. What a great idea though.

Lauras Garden said...

Our town is strict. The dogs got the 3 year rabies vaccine instead of the usual one but they still need the other boosters annually. I don't know if a mobile vet would like your driveway.

Anonymous said...

Laura, You know I have a perfect solution to having to take animals to the vet! Or you can ask Alec, he some wonderful ideas as well!

Armin

Fiddling Granny said...

That sounds like a great idea .. and less stressful for the animal kids.