Monday, August 3, 2009

Family Reunion

For many years my dad's side of the family has had a reunion every August long weekend.  For many years we didn't make it because we lived in faraway parts of Canada but we make it half the time now. For many years we went to my Uncle Frank's cottage (he was my dad's older brother - there was just the two sons that lived).  Many of his children spent the whole weekend.  Since he died last year we have gone to cousin's places that had pools but we are rethinking the whole reunion.  No one else has both the space for tents and a pool or beach nearby.  Traffic on the long weekend can be a nuisance.  We are lucky enough to live north of GTA so we aren't slowed by the traffic as we travel opposite to the rush.  The traffic was stop and go heading south on the side roads Saturday afternoon.  It was the heaviest we remember seeing it - maybe because it was one of the few really nice days we have had all summer.  (I am not complaining - I like it cool - but many don't)

I think this is the first reunion that my Aunt Mary and Uncle John made it to that we also made it to.  We do see them occasionally in Grand Bend or London on our mini-vacations.  Aunt Mary is my dad's cousin and I used to love visiting them in London when we were growing up.  Their daughter, Susan is the same age as I am.  Aunt Mary enjoys reading my blog so I thought I would post a picture of her.  (She liked my Sweaty story and even liked the giant slug)  Below is my dad, my mom, Aunt Mary and Uncle John.  A fine looking group of seniors.  My mom turned 75 the day before.  If she could hit me through the internet I am sure she would for letting that information out.


3 comments:

SusanE said...

I showed Laurence the picture of you Mum and didn't say who she was or how she was connected to you. I asked him how old she looks.

He said 68-70 years.

I'd say Helen can be pretty pleased with her age and her beauty.

Cherylinn said...

What a nice picture...Happy Birthday Helen..
You couldn't have asked for a nicer day to have it.

Fiddling Granny said...

I always thought your mother looked like Elizabeth Montgomery. She still does.