Sunday, June 1, 2008

Our Magnolia


We have wanted a magnolia for a long time. They can be tricky in our zone as the flower buds can be killed by a late frost. To make a long story short, I finally bought one late last spring and we have just enjoyed it's first blooms. It is a Yellowbird. Unfortunately, they don't last very long. I guess the consolation is that the lilac is blooming now so I can enjoy their scent while mourning the passing of the magnolia blooms until next year. That is one of the things I love about gardening - the everchanging sights and scents.

4 comments:

Laurence Hunt said...

Here's an interesting fact... Magnolias are in the same class of plants as the nightshades - potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, mandrakes, datura, petunias and tobacco! Very interesting plant family......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightshade

Fiddling Granny said...

That's beautiful.

I've always wanted one too, but it would look silly in the forest here where we don't even have a lawn.

Lauras Garden said...

FG - they actually are native forest trees so I think it would look beautiful

Cherylinn said...

That is one spectacular flower....