Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Name Garden

Years ago I decided to make a name garden. In it I planted any plants that were named after members of my family. Hmm, maybe I should say plants that shared the same name as my family members -none of us are important enough to have a plant named after us personally. That extends to our last name - we have a Morning Light Maiden Grass and a Frosty Morn Sedum as well but they aren't in this picture. Shown below is my Miss Victoria daylily just starting to bloom, Alexander lysimachia (just peeking out from behind Miss Victoria) and the ground cover is Laura phlox.

This is a close up of Alexander. I like the way the flowers emerge between the variegated leaves. And it looks good even when it's not blooming!

This wasn't really my name garden but I planted something today I wanted to share. It is a Charm Dianthus. Caitlin's rabbit Charm died last year and I couldn't resist buying it in remembrance of him. I bought it a few weeks ago but couldn't decide where to put it. The bloom is a tropical pink/coral and it was difficult to find somewhere it didn't clash. It has found it's new home in this bed with the Magnolia, that flowers before and a hydrangea that flowers after.


We got half of the gardens weeded and mulched today. Everything smells and looks so good!

3 comments:

Cherylinn said...

The Name Garden, I think that is great....and your gardens do look lovely.

SusanE said...

Beautiful garden's Laura. I like the idea of naming too. Very creative.

You're an amazing gardener.

Fiddling Granny said...

Just for the record, my Aunt Lilian has a rhododendron named after her. My Uncle Jim "created" it. Mum can tell you more than I can.