Monday, January 17, 2011

Quote 1

I love quotes from people who have a way with words. I would love to be able to be more eloquent and to be able to sum up my feelings in such a concise way. For the last two years, I have sent out my weekly orders to my team with an inspirational quote. I have been thinking of sharing some of my favourite quotes for quite some time and got the final nudge from Fawn. Her post on quotes garnered a lot of feedback with many sharing their favourite quotes so I know I am not the only one who likes quotes. I doubt I can do a quote a day so I will share as I can. So ...

Plough deep while sluggards sleep ..... Benjamin Franklin

I chose this one because Ben was born on this day in 1706. Most of us know him as a great diplomat and statesman but he also was an inventor and gave us the lightning rod, bifocals, the Franklin Stove, the first odometer (for carriages) and the glass armonica (kind of cool - look it up) He was also responsible for the creation of the first public lending library and fire department in the States. If you have this months Reader's Digest, there was an article about his quest for betterment by studying 13 virtues. What a legacy he left!

I also picked this quote because I like it. The bible has many references, especially in Proverbs about the dangers of slothfulness. I wonder if any other religions warn against laziness? And remember Aesop's fable about the ant and the grasshopper? We have many slothful people still. Watching tv or surfing until the wee hours. Spending hours in coffee shops, shopping or in garages drinking beer. What do you think? How dangerous or evident is slothfulness today? Does the early bird really get the worm?

(excuse the change in font - I don't know why it changed mid post but I can't fix it)

1 comment:

Country Girl said...

Yes the early bird gets the worm, but the early worm gets eaten....

Not that I am lazy... i just like this saying