Monday, May 24, 2010

The smells of spring

It has been so hot the last few days that it feels more like summer but nonetheless these are the smells of spring. Most people plant gardens for appearance but I love to plant for fragrance too. The plants are even more fragrant at night when it is too dark to see what they look like so it is double the enjoyment. Obviously the smell most people associate with spring and gardens are lilacs so we will start with that. See how many blooms you get if you prune your lilac after the flowers die? And if it looks good, think of how good it smells!
Obviously the best place to plant fragrant plants is where you will smell them often so this Northern Lights Azalea is right outside my front door.
This is the only "orange" plant in my garden because I am not a big fan of orange but I love the subtle shades.
And last (but it blooms first) is a close up of my Burkwood Viburnum. It is about 8 feet from the front door. It smells heavenly. Not a perfumey overpowering smell just really, really good.
What is your favourite smell of spring?

7 comments:

SusanE said...

I love the shades on the orange one.

hmmm, my favourite smell. Well right now, every morning when I go for my walk there is a small stretch of the bush that smells like citrus.

I like the smell of the lake too.

Laura said...

Last year I found that the little tiny orange ants smell like citrus. I can tell I have dug up a colony by the smell before I even see them. Maybe you have a huge colony in your woods.

Fiddling Granny said...

They all look beautiful.

Favourite smell .. a nice merlot! LOL

Oh, wait, you meant floral - plumeria.

Laura said...

Hmm. I don't think I have actually smelled plumeria. I will have to search for it.

Cherylinn said...

I like the smell of fresh cut grass.

Fiddling Granny said...

It's a tropical flower. Beautiful to look at and to smell.

Laura said...

I have been waiting for someone to say fresh cut grass. Thanks Cheryl.