Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Fall Frenzy

It happens every fall when I am laid off.  I go on a cleaning and baking and organizing spree.  I clean things like ceiling fans and the top of the fridge, defrost the freezer and re-organize bookshelves - the things that I just don't have time for when I am working.  I start by baking tons of goodies with the leftover pumpkins from hallowe'en like bow-wow breakfast bars for the dogs and muffins and loaves for the people.  Then I move on to the Christmas baking and shopping and cards. This year is going to be different for several reasons.  I was laid off Friday, about 3 weeks earlier than normal because of the weather. In theory that should give me more free time but it hasn't worked that way because my best in-town friend's 15 year old son was hit by a car last week when he was long-boarding and I have been watching their house and trying to get everything cleaned up at both houses before leaf pick up this week.  He is at Sick Kid's (2 1/2 hours away) and is expected to make a full recovery over the next few months but will have pins in both legs forever. He also had a fractured skull and a broken vertebrae in his neck.  It is a miracle he is alive.  An old friend of Tori's died - he was 3 days younger than her.  Kevin is away for 2 weeks. Tomorrow my dad goes in to have surgery on a cancerous section of his colon.  I will be staying with my mom for the next 4 days.  It is impossible to sum up the worry of the months of testing that have been happening; the feelings I want to share but can't put in words.  Needless to say I am very emotional right now.  I would appreciate everyone's prayers during this difficult time.

4 comments:

Cherylinn said...

Oh my goodness, that is a lot to be dealing with at one time. You are so right he is very lucky to be alive. What the other person long boarding with him? What the heck is long boarding?

OUR Thoughts are with your entire family and hope you dad has a speedy recovery.....

Lauras Garden said...

A long board is a long skate board - way more expensive apparently. It was actually stolen during the hubbub. Thanks for your good wishes.

SusanE said...

Aw Laura, I wish I could give you a big hug right now. I'm thinking of you and sending you hugs in my heart for the next 24 hours at least.

Please pass on one of my hugs to your Mum, Stewart, Linda & Leanne.

And especially give one to your Dad.

Fiddling Granny said...

The old saying "When it rains, it pours" comes to mind.

Do take some time to rejuvenate. Bath, bubbles, candles, wine, chocolate and a sucky book, even for an hour, would do you good.