Sunday, August 15, 2010

Enough Already (A Rant)

I work outside. Rain, shine, cloudy, sunny - sort of like the postman getting the mail delivered - we get the gardens done. This is by far the most miserable summer in the years I have gardened. I love the moderate temperatures in the spring and fall. I am not a summer person. I head for the shady gardens (thank goodness my helpers like the sun). The last several days I feel absolutely drained. And we don't have air conditioning. Most years there are only 3 or 4 days where we wish we had a/c and we are not putting it in for various reasons. Remember how much I love my truck? I really love it now because it is the only cool I get.

Now onto the real rant part. I am beginning to detest weathermen. Every day last week rain was in the forecast for the next day when I went to bed. I would go to sleep dreaming of a rain day, sleeping in and cool temperatures. I would wake up in the morning disappointed. The rain had been moved to the next day and the temperature was back into the 30's. The only day we got a 10 minute downpour there was zero rain in the forecast. Today's forecast was nice (by my definition). It was to be 21 to 23 degrees and chance of rain. Depending on which station I use it is now 30 or 31 degrees. Close don't you think? Only off by a few degrees. And no rain yet! How come weathermen are getting less accurate as they get more access to technology? I have noticed that a lot of days now they are forecasting "sunny with cloudy breaks" or "cloudy with a chance of showers". Trying to cover all bases. Maybe I will stop looking at the forecasts and go back to methods used by our forefathers. "Red sky at night, sailor's delight, red sky in morning, sailors take warning". I think the accuracy would be as good as the weather man. Or perhaps I could offer the dog a choice of two biscuits. If she picks the right hand, I will dress for rain, the left - it will be a good day. Can't be any worse.

Now I know most of you aren't as affected by the weather, so if you made it all the way to the end of this post, thanks for sticking with me. I promise something cheery next.

5 comments:

Fiddling Granny said...

This has definitely been a hot dry one. I'd tell you that all f this week is predicted to be between 22 and 24, but you already said how accurate the prognosticators have been.

Cherylinn said...

Laura I couldn't agree more...They have all this new technology and it's useless, either they don't know how to use it or the stuff is useless. I hate summer, we do have a/c but we don't use it for the most part. We have put it on a few times when we are going out so the dogs will be cool. (After all in this day and age you can't leave your windows opened either.) When we get home we turn it off and once the house is the same temperature as outside, the windows are opened again. I don't like a/c, I like my windows opened.

Not too much longer.

If a forecaster predicts rain, I go with the opposite.

Country Girl said...

I don't pay attention to weather people they are never right. I measure by the temp in the morning, If it's hot I dress for hot and if it's cold I dress for cold...

Pam, TJ, Nathan and Jordan said...

I totally agree...yet we still tune in the very next day to see what they're forecasting...lol

SusanE said...

I check it online regularly for what it's worth... which isn't much.